The Acute Care Clinician
Fostering Improved Voice & Upper Airway Diagnostics and Treatment in the Acute Setting
Course ID: ABLO0151
Subject: Speech Pathology
Course Code: P
Instructional Level: Intermediate
There is a significant education gap with airway understanding and diagnostics for the clinician in the acute care setting. Physicians ask acute care clinicians for urgent consults for differential diagnosis with the use of videostroboscopy. Clinicians may not be as familiar with the acute clinician’s role in airway diagnostics and the impact it has across the continuum of care. Acute care clinicians are often access points to guide the care plan towards the MDs/community specialists. They support the continuum of care with identification and differential diagnosis in an area of the body that many acute physicians
look to acute care clinicians to troubleshoot. Stroboscopy and upper airway diagnostics fit into acute care diagnostics and consultative triaging to get to appropriate services, clinicians, and to guide treatment.
1. To be able to identify roles of SLP across settings and how Acute Care requires special consideration and attention
2. To be able to discuss ways in which GI, Pulmonology, ENT and SLP teams can work more efficiently in the Acute Care setting
3. To be able to list basic components of and types of testing options for voice and upper airway disorders in an acute care setting and rationale for use of each
Course Type: asynchronous
Where: On-demand, online viewing
Instructional Methodologies: video learning modules
Cultural/Accessibility Considerations: visual demonstrations and on-video text is present
Course Structure – 0.35 ASHA CEUs or 3.5 hours
Part 1 Role of the SLP in The Acute Care Setting 65 min
Part 2 Vocal Morbidity in the Acute Care Setting- Considerations For Assessment and
Treatment 82 min
Part 3 Vocal Morbidity in the Acute Care Setting- Considerations For Assessment and
Treatment 71 min
The target audience for this course is speech-language pathologists who wish to foster
interdisciplinary care in an acute care setting and manage voice and upper airway disorders
like VCD and chronic cough in that setting.
There is no required prerequisite learning for this course.
This course will be available for ASHA CEUs starting on April 15, 2023.
By default all ASHA members will have their course credits submitted for ASHA credit unless you specifically request to not have this submitted. You can make this request via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Required material and supplies include a computer with an internet connection.
Offering is provided on www.confidentclinician.com via video learning modules within the
website. Access is anytime after purchase up to 1 year.
What do I need to do to complete requirements and obtain a certificate of completion? To obtain a certificate of completion, you must:
■ watch the entire on-demand webinar modules
■ complete the graded content quiz assessment (with at least 100% passing score)
■ complete the learning assessment
■ complete the program evaluation
No. Partial credit is not available for any of our courses.
- To request accommodations for self study and on-demand content please email us at
email@example.com. Please know that it may take us up to 14 days to provide
- To request accommodations for live courses, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please know that it may take us up to 14 days to provide accommodations.
- To cancel attendance to a live course that has not yet occurred, we allow cancellations up to 48
hours prior to the course. Please email us at email@example.com to cancel, and allow
30 days for us to process the full refund.
- To cancel attendance to a pre-recorded and on-demand course, due to the nature of online
administration, we do not offer refunds
- To cancel attendance to a mentorship session, please inform us at least 48 hours prior to the
scheduled date/time. We will gladly reschedule your date/time. Cancellation requests that do
not comply with this will not be honored. Refunds are not offered. If you have not scheduled
your meeting with us within 1 year of mentorship purchase, it will be cancelled with no refund.
- If a live course that has not yet occurred is cancelled for any reason by us, we will inform you
as soon as possible and provide full refunds to each participant within 30 days.
- If we as the provider need to cancel and reschedule a mentorship session, we reserve the
right to complete that task at any time.
If you feel you need to file a complaint with us, please email us within 1 week of attendance to a
program we offer at firstname.lastname@example.org. We take complaints very seriously and will
respond to you as soon as possible to remedy the situation.
This course includes
- Full course videos
- Full 1-year access
- Accessible on mobile devices
- Certificate of Completion
- Intermediate Level 0.35 ASHA CEUs