The Alaryngeal Communication Clinician
Supporting the Communication Journey of Patients with Laryngectomy
Course ID: ABLO0156
Course Code: P
Instructional Level: Introductory
There is a significant education gap with understanding laryngectomy rehabilitation across the continuum of care, including pre and post laryngectomy education, training, and voice rehabilitation for the private practice in speech language pathology.
1. To be able to identify head and neck cancer signs, symptoms, staging, treatment
options, and side effects of various treatments.
2. To be able to describe anatomic and physiologic changes following laryngectomy
surgery and methods of counseling patients and families about these changes.
3. To be able to explain 3 methods of voice rehabilitation following laryngectomy.
4. To be able to identify various methods of pulmonary rehabilitation following laryngectomy.
5. To be able to differentiate various types of voice prostheses and understand their indications for use.
Course Type- asynchronous
Where: On-demand, online viewing
Instructional Methodologies: video learning modules
Cultural/Accessibility Considerations: visual demonstrations and on-video text is present
Course Structure – 0.65 ASHA CEUs or 6.5 hours
Part 1 Introduction to Head and Neck Cancer 78 min 16 sec
Part 2 Introduction to Total Laryngectomy 102 min 35 sec
Part 3 Post Laryngectomy Voice and Pulmonary Rehabilitation – Therapeutic Strategies 93
min 25 sec
Part 4 Tracheoesophageal Voice Prosthesis (TEP) Management and Problem Solving 119
min 40 sec
The target audience for this course is speech-language pathologists who wish to support
clients with a laryngectomy in a private speech-language pathology practice, or any SLP
There is no required prerequisite learning for this course.
This course will be available for ASHA CEUs starting on April 15, 2023.
By default all ASHA members will have their course credits submitted for ASHA credit unless you specifically request to not have this submitted. You can make this request via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Required material and supplies include a computer with an internet connection.
Offering is provided on www.confidentclinician.com via video learning modules within the
website. Access is anytime after purchase up to 1 year.
What do I need to do to complete requirements and obtain a certificate of completion?
To obtain a certificate of completion, you must:
■ watch the entire on-demand webinar modules
■ complete the graded content quiz assessment (with 100% passing score)
■ complete the learning assessment
■ complete the program evaluation
No. Partial credit is not available for any of our courses.
- To request accommodations for self study and on-demand content please email us at
email@example.com. Please know that it may take us up to 14 days to provide
- To request accommodations for live courses, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please know that it may take us up to 14 days to provide accommodations.
- To cancel attendance to a live course that has not yet occurred, we allow cancellations up to 48
hours prior to the course. Please email us at email@example.com to cancel, and allow
30 days for us to process the full refund.
- To cancel attendance to a pre-recorded and on-demand course, due to the nature of online
administration, we do not offer refunds
- To cancel attendance to a mentorship session, please inform us at least 48 hours prior to the
scheduled date/time. We will gladly reschedule your date/time. Cancellation requests that do
not comply with this will not be honored. Refunds are not offered. If you have not scheduled
your meeting with us within 1 year of mentorship purchase, it will be cancelled with no refund.
- If a live course that has not yet occurred is cancelled for any reason by us, we will inform you
as soon as possible and provide full refunds to each participant within 30 days.
- If we as the provider need to cancel and reschedule a mentorship session, we reserve the
right to complete that task at any time.
If you feel you need to file a complaint with us, please email us within 1 week of attendance to a
program we offer at firstname.lastname@example.org. We take complaints very seriously and will
respond to you as soon as possible to remedy the situation.
This course includes
- Full course videos
- Full 1-year access
- Accessible on mobile devices
- Certificate of Completion
- Introductory Level 0.65 ASHA CEUs